Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Unexpected Encounter

Sold

    This is my newest en plein air oil painting. It's 8" x 10"
and was painted yesterday morning at the Tulsa Rose Garden.

    I set up my easel and started painting about 9:00 am. It
was soon after I started painting that I could hear
someone talking very strangely somewhere behind me.
It sounded like a male voice and it seemed like he was
talking to himself in both English and some other
language. I didn't let it bother my focus on my painting
even though at times he was yelling fairly loudly. As I
was finishing up my painting about an hour later I saw
him walking toward me. He was very disheveled and
had blood running down his forehead from several scrapes.
He said something to me I didn't understand. When I
asked him to repeat what he had asked me he said more
slowly " I don't want to hurt you...could you call the police
and have them come arrest me." I told him I'd prefer that
he didn't hurt me and asked him if he'd done something
wrong that he needed to be arrested for. He said he hadn't
yet...he also said he had been released from jail that
morning and wanted the police to arrest him so he could go
back. I asked if it were alright if I could use my own phone
and he said he didn't mind.  He stood there I proceeded to call
911. The 911 operator took my information and a description
of what he looked like and said she would send an officer. I
told him they were on their way and to wait but he started to
talk to himself and walked away. I stayed at the location
I had called from waiting to see a police officer for quite a
while before moving to another location to paint a couple
hundred yards away. Unfortunately I never saw a police car
come by or saw the man again. I'm really hoping they did
and that they found him. He definitely needed some help.

Please pray for him!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to meet you at the Art on the Square in Utica. I read your story about your painting and that is why I am wanting people to paint with on location. Strange! Yikes! You have a great painting. Would love to get together and paint out some this fall. Weather is so great!

    ReplyDelete